Librem 5 media (photos and videos)

If the man from Ford shows me a video of the car going from 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds, there’s no reason to doubt that when I try the same thing, I’ll get the same result. Though you complain about not having proof of the most basic expected functionality of the L5, so it would be more like seeing a video of the car being driven. Your demand isn’t rational, its just stubborn.

8 Likes

The MakeUseOf review shows calls working. Then if you don’t want to call that “100%”, I don’t know, it’s up to you of course to define your 100% but for me, speaker mode is just one of many nice-to-have additions you can have on top of phonecalls. Adjusting the volume while talking, also nice to have. If you read that review you will see that it’s quite critical of the Librem 5 over all but phonecalls is not something the reviewer is particularly unhappy about. On the contrary, the fact that phone calls are working is lifted up as something positive.

6 Likes

If Ford starts selling cars that can’t be driven tomorrow morning, they’ll be out of business tomorrow night.
This is absurd.

2 Likes

Suppose for a minute that Purism faked their videos about phone calls on the Librem 5. If they were the type of company to do that, what would stop them from creating various channels posing as recipients of development batches and “proving” phone calls work? Seeing someone on the internet post a video, if you don’t trust video evidence, is still just taking someone’s word for it.

6 Likes

“calls work” is dependent on country and mobile network operator, and location within country.

So, for starters, what country are you asking about?

Purism probably doesn’t have the resources to test every mobile network operator in every country of the circa 200 countries in the world. (It would be a nice Hamiltonian junket for someone though.) However there are plans for the community to report successes (and failures) in this forum.

That will mean though that you will have to be patient as Purism sends out thousands of phones to all corners of the world - and then for customers to report back. Realistically, that information may not be even near complete until about May next year.

2 Likes

Hi guys, just a quick one: is Librem 5 delivered to any common customer, that is not a reviewer/blogger/influencer/politician/actor/king/princess? I’m just curious, because I was a backer and I’ve pulled off for an issue with the network in Australia… Cheers

1 Like

Yes, the Pine Phone PostMarket OS CE. Funny thing that – I bought that one knowing it, just like I did the Librem 5.

6 Likes

a fun travel-the-world side-project for members of the community then :sweat_smile: … oh wait :mask:

4 Likes

Testing the Librem 5 would count as compassionate grounds in order to get a visa in these days of COVID, wouldn’t it? :joy:

4 Likes

hi kieran I was asking about the UK.

very good question deedend, I am not aware of anyone who has done any reviews that is not a employee, reviewer, blogger or influencer and so on?

Whats the issue in Australia?

1 Like

as soon as they hear that the motive for travel is to test the L5 they BAN you immediately … if it was for some other phone then we might have a different conversation … :upside_down_face: :grimacing: :rofl: :shushing_face: what ?

2 Likes

Unfortunately the Librem 5 modem (well, at least one year ago when the batches were announced) isn’t fully compatible with the Australian network, so I had to cancel my pledge (and I got a full refund). I bought a Pinephone instead, it has a modem that include all the required bands for Australia and Europe.

Maybe the modem issue was a good thing after all, I would have been still waiting for my phone at this stage!

Maybe try to necro this topic: Any UK users of the Librem 5?

and tag in some of the people who responded in that topic in case they a) are in the UK, and b) have by now received a phone.

1 Like

I tihnk you have a catch-22 situation here: the moment someone writes about their Librem 5 on their blog or whatever, I suppose that person becomes a “blogger” so then, you will never be satisfied. :smiley:

Let me try anyway, here are some links:

https://azdle.net/2019/11/librem-5-unboxing/

I could also tell you about my own second-hand-bought Librem 5 Birch, but – if I do that, will that turn me into an influencer? I want to keep being a normal person (or a normal turtle in my case). :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

If I recall for Australia we had one customer who got Chestnut (am I on the right tree?). And he was happy with the European modem. Granted it didn’t cover the B28 band, but it worked fine for him. I’m in for Evergreen at this time and will go with the European option meaning I won’t get mobile coverage at home which doesn’t worry me at all.

I will say that the lack of having the variant that did cover the B28 band is a big disappointment seeing as though at one point it was under consideration.

what a nasty word that is …

1 Like

Search is your friend: Observatons with the Chestnut batch - Librem 5 received Jan 2020

I’m still trying to work out whether an “observaton” is some kind of quantum particle. :wink:

1 Like

Observaton, once you observe it, it disappears.

5 Likes

If you think it’s enough to have a Librem 5 to become an influencer, well, maybe you’re right: it’s such a rare thing that probably you’ll become famous, at least inside this community! :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :blush: :kissing_heart:

2 Likes