Librem5 patina?

I know I have been posting a lot of of messages lately, but you can put this down to enthousiasm about the L5.
This time around, I have a question for people who have been using the L5 for a longer period of time already.

Having used the L5 for somewhat over a month now (without a case), I have noticed some scratches on the bezel surrounding the glass. The black (anodized?) finish seems to come off quite easily.
Since the L5 is made to last, my question is how the ‘damage’ progresses over time.
Does it make the L5 look tacky and worn, or does it develop into a nice patina?

3 Likes

I have used the the phone as my daily driver since the middle of October. I have not used a case with the phone, and I have also gotten some scratches on the “sharp” edges on the metal. Looks good to me :slight_smile:

If it looks anything like a well used tool after a while, I’ll be happy.
:+1:

1 Like

I think it would be time to contact that guy in Europe who started making the protective covers. (Other thread applies.)

Nah. I have never bee a big fan of cases. Over the years I have owned a dozen or so phones, all without ever using a case. Why make phones so fragile they need one in the first place? A proper tool does not need a case.
Besides, the L5 is big enough as it is. A case makes it even less pocketable. And the L5 is a very tactile piece of kit, nice to handle - a case would probably spoil that as well.
So, I was hoping for patina.

:wink:

Maybe others will like to fill in some posts using #Librem5Patina?

1 Like

If I can make a case for a case (har), then it’s a good idea to have a consumable outer cover to protect the more expensive to replace inner cover.

4 Likes

Shouldn’t that be an integral part of the original design than?

1 Like

Wow! That is a well used phone? Have you been banging nails into a wall with that?!
:grin:

1 Like

There’s no need to make that integral if it’s easy to get one from a third party :slight_smile: Maybe I should ask the shop people if they could add one to the shop.

3 Likes

Well, Nokia (and later on Microsoft) used to do a good job at coming up with back covers that worked as a case: wrapped around the edges, covered in a rubber layer, easily replacable at low cost. So it can be done.

Offering a case in the store seems like a good idea. But if it adds bulk to the phone, it is not for me.

1 Like

Here ya go… You’re welcome! :laughing:

I got 12 likes for my previous case post:

https://forums.puri.sm/t/case-for-librem-5/16216/67

Ah, the Escher case…

A good soak in vinegar and proxide first, then into a bag full of uncooked rice, and Bob’s yer uncle.
The easy route to a steampunk Librem5, I would say. :wink:

1 Like

I use my Librem 5 as a daily phone since 2022-05-01. My phone looks like it is new, except for the area around the USB socket, and one corner that I hit to a wall once. I handle my phone always with care and make sure to put it not in a pocket with for example keys or other hard or sharp items. I do not use a screen protector nor a case. There are no scratches on the screen. Now and then I wipe the screen to be totally clean and shining again.

Note that the white parts at the edges in the photo above are reflections from lamps.

1 Like

Looking sharp, Jan. I also try to handle it with care, and I do have a screen protector - a first for me.
My greatest fear is dropping it (on a hard floor). But based on Chris’s photo’s I would say the L5 can handle a fall or two…

1 Like

Not so fast!

1 Like

Well, yes, there is always the screen.

The Zitto bumper looks pretty nice. But I wonder how well it fits. I ordered a BigBen Folio case mentioned in another case thread because it looked pretty good. But having received it, I found it a bit too tight, and most likely not very effective at protecting the L5. So, I am a little hesitant ordering yet another ‘test’ case.
Has anyone tried a Zitto?