[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

Yes, that’s why I tried to give you a command to limit the output.

OK, so the memory card is /dev/sda

So you actually want:

mount -l | grep sda

You know you can pipe through more, right? As in: mount -l | more
so that it gives you a screen at a time.

Output from

more /etc/fstab

may be interesting provided that you censor out the UUIDs (unless you don’t care).

Here’s a tentative suggestion, if you are up for it: Get an SSH server working on the phone. Then you can ssh in from your laptop / desktop. That will give you a bigger screen for seeing output, and make it easy for you to post “screenshots”, not as screen capture images but just by cut-and-pasting the text from the ssh window to your browser window.

2 Likes

Here ya go:

3 Likes

2 Likes

So based on that, it is not automatically mounting the µSD card at boot time.

@prolog wanted to see the mount point. It seems to be mounting the card in the default place (/media/$USER/$volume) as if the card had been plugged in after login.

4 Likes

I don’t recall offhand what the squeekboard is like. I use AnySoftKeyboard and Hacker’s Keyboard on my android devices.
Is it possible to navigate in the terminal with shift+pgup?

There’s the arrow key on the left that switches to typing capitals. Or do you mean something else than typing capitals?

Only if you use an something keyboard-like, not Squeekboard.

2 Likes

Does that lock to all-caps-mode with double push (behaviour feature in some keyboards)? Maybe @amarok want’s to SHOUT AT FORUM, which would be easier with always on caps lock. Then again, world would be safer and more chilled place if it’s not implemented :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s a rabbit hole:
https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard
https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/5-keyboard/

If you’re going to tinker, make sure you back up your configs first!

I assume these would apply to whatever software keyboard the L5 has? Maybe not!

1 Like

Good point, thanks. I never came around to implementing that (patches welcome).

Nope. Squeekboard is not trying to be a keyboard, except when absolutely needed (Xwayland), and even then only does the bare minimum. Instead, it tries to be an excellent text input method.

Still, the OS is open, so if anyone wants to create replacement that actually tries to emulate a bunch of switches, that’s totally doable.

3 Likes

@JR-Fi @dcz
CapsLock comes in handy for emphasizing a word, for typing long strings of capitals in e.g. passwords, or for BLOODY GREAT ACRONYMS. “It’s not just for shouting anymore.”
:wink:

4 Likes

Someone forgot to implement “Squeekboard Settings” in my L5…I’ve only got “Keyboard Settings.” :rofl:

3 Likes

You should be looking under “Input method settings”, that’s implemented :slight_smile:

True, but…

5 Likes

You found yet another bug!

6 Likes

It looks like a keyboard, it’s used like a keyboard, it replaces a keyboard… It’s a keyboard as far as us users are concerned, unless there is a special qualifying statement to indicate otherwise. Even if it’s a “virtual” or “minimum”. And it’s shorter to write keyboard. Efficiency wins most of the time.

5 Likes

Of course I’m not trying to redefine terms here - unfortunately we have to deal with somewhat misleading naming. As an example “predictive keyboard” is a misunderstanding: the prediction has little to do with keys (does a predictive keyboard help press Ctrl or arrows?), but rather with text.

What I wanted to highlight instead is the focus of the project. The way it looks is currently button-like, but it will get farther and farther from that as it gains features like popups, prediction/suggestions, and non-Latin script support.

7 Likes

“Keyboard with more features” (sorry) :wink:

But on the same note, I’m looking with interest: Snowl

1 Like

My thoughts on the state of the Librem 5 after using it for two weeks:

3 Likes

You haven’t tried convergence yet, have you?

Aren’t we still waiting for something to be implemented for that to work?