Problems again starting Librem 5

Thank you very much for Execrable and Irvinewade!

Some of my problems are solved thanks to you:

• I was able to update the system

• I could change the screen resolution

Concerning Geary: the returned message asks me to check the incoming server settings. I checked and rechecked but they are the ones I use on my computer (Linux) and my tablet (iOS). I wonder if this is not coming from the ISP itself because I get from time to time a message about a “certificate” problem…

Concerning the memory card, it’s the one I use on my Android phone (under a French version of Lineage: /e/ or e.OS). Maybe it is not formatted in a format compatible with PureOS ?

Could I connect a USB key directly to the Librem, in order to retrieve files ?

Concerning the French language : Yes, I have chosen the French language from the beginning.

On the other hand, I don’t see any application to use the camera to take pictures ?

Is there one?

Thanks again for your help!

Sincerely,

Patrick

For libreoffice you will have to install the following package :

sudo apt install libreoffice-l10n-fr

Note for any other language, you can list the available languages for libreoffice with:

apt-cache search libreoffice-l10n

What happened to your other account ‘Patrick’ ?

Thank you very much.
I do that on my Linux-Debian Laptop but Librem 5 is new for me and I forgot that PureOS is Debian…

Another questions :

• How many applications does work perfectly under Phosh ? Which are they ?
  • How can I see the content of a USB key or a Micro Card ? Is there a browser for navigation in the Librem 5 ?

Thank you in advance !
Patrick

All apps in the store run under Librem 5. You can install other apps via the console, but they usually have an error in the application because they have not yet been adapted.

But you can install Flatpak, then you have a few “many” more apps in the PureOS Store - I would definitely recommend it to you. To do this, do the following:

sudo apt install flatpak
sudo apt install gnome-software-plugin-flatpak
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

3 Likes

If you look at the picture in this previous comment, you can see ‘15GB’ which represent the USB-c key and ‘7.7GB’ which represent a micro-sd card put next to the nano-SIM slot

To navigate your files, you can install nautilus, or nemo (which will add a ‘Files’ shorcut in the main screen)

For a list of “good” software, you can take a look at what @amarok did here :

1 Like

The next major release of the Librem 5 software will have adaptive nautilus: New Post: Sneak Peek of the Next PureOS Release on the Librem 5

Also the Mobian project has compiled a list of working applications together with a “mobile-ready” benchmark: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/apps

4 Likes

Hello,

I’m the proud owner of a brand new Librem 5, but I’m having a lot of problems right away.
So I understand much better why its promotion is for the moment oriented towards informed, committed, motivated and even militant “librists”.

I list below my difficulties, hoping that you will know the solutions.

1. How to change the original PIN code (0000)?
  2. I formatted my micro SD card in ext4 but I don’t have the permission to rewrite the data that were on it and that I saved on my computer (Linux-Debian)
  3. I imported my contacts with one of the PureOS goodies (“Contacts Importer”) but it only imported the email addresses! So I don’t have any of their phone numbers. How can I do it? Is there another application?
  4. I have installed GParted to format a micro SD card if needed but I am asked for a Root password! I don’t know how to create one.
  5. There is no automatic correction on Geary. Can we add one? There is no auto-completion of words while typing either.
  6. If I want an extra battery, should I order it from the US or can I find an equivalent in France (or elsewhere)? How much could the shipping and customs fees be?
  7. How can I connect :
  • an external USB key?
  • an external multi-port adapter?
  • an external keyboard and monitor?
  1. Thanks to a PureOS “goodie” (“Scale Screen”) I can change the screen resolution and thus, for some applications, have more image surface on the screen, but how can I keep this resolution without having to use “Scale Screen” each time I restart the Librem 5 ?

Apart from that, it takes a long time to switch on and I have the impression that most applications are very slow.
Moreover, it seems to me that the battery does not last the whole day in case of sustained use (hence my question above…)

But despite all this, what a pleasure to use a phone (almost) like your desktop computer under Linux and with the same applications!

Waiting for your opinions and advices, in a word for your help, I thank you in advance and greet you cordially,
Patrick

1- Settings>Details>Users

5- I don’t think Squeekboard has text prediction yet. (Apologies if that’s not what you’re referring to.)

8- For GNOME apps, there’s a command you can run for each one, which will automatically scale it to the screen every time you open the app.
gsettings set sm.puri.phoc.application:/sm/puri/phoc/application/packagename/ scale-to-fit true ; replace “packagename” with actual name
For non-GNOME apps, I’m not sure. Another option is to rescale everything to 1/2 the current scale, using Settings>Devices>Displays>100%, but that’s not a great solution.

RE battery life, and for your interest, see: Evergreen Battery Test and Another Battery Test
There have been several improvements to the battery meter reading since then.

1 Like
1 Like

Also see:

And: https://tracker.pureos.net/w/pureos/mobile_optimized_apps/
And: https://tracker.pureos.net/w/pureos/3rd-party_mobile_optimized_apps/

2 Likes

Thank you very much Amarok !

I add two new questions :

How to create different contact groups (Family, Friends, Music, etc…)?

What would be the equivalent of Elements (Matrix) for PureOS or Phosh for Librem 5?

Thanks in advance!

You need a USB-C hub for that. Here are the tested ones: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Tested-Accessories#hubs.

1 Like

I don’t have answers for those. You can try installing Elements or Fractal, etc., but no guarantee they will fit or function correctly. If you’ve added the Flathub repo, you will find more possibilities available when you use the search box in the Store app.

Actually, RE group messages (and MMS), see this: State of MMS on Librem 5

1 Like

See here: https://tracker.pureos.net/w/pureos/3rd-party_mobile_optimized_apps/.
It’s “Fractal”.

1 Like
  1. Check if the card is mounted read only. I think you can do that running “mount” from console and look for the right line and if there is “ro” in it. And check the fileststem permissions and ownership. You can do that with “ls -hal”. Your username and user id on the L5 may be different then on the system where you prepared the card. If you use the card on L5 only it is probably enough to use “chown” as root to change ownerchip to your L5 user (“purism” I think, can check with “whoami”). If you use the cards on different systems maybe “idmapd” helps to map user ids, but I never used it.

2. From where and how do the contacts come? Did you export them and are you sure it contains the phone numbers?

3. I think you can run “sudo gparted” and use your normal password to gain root permissions temporarily.

4. You need the appropriate adapters if the devices like a USB thumb drive don’t already have a USB type C connector. Also you can use Bluetooth devices like keyboard and mouse.

Keep in mind, that I don’t have an L5 yet.

1 Like

One more question:

When I click on the “message” icon of a contact, the SMS application automatically opens and I can send an SMS but when I click on the “phone” icon of the contact nothing happens.
So the contact directory is useless for the phone.
Is this a problem with my Librem5?
Is it a bug in the application?
Is this feature still under development?

Thanks in advance!
Thank you in advance!
Patrick

Just wait for the big release Byzantium, it coming soon.

3 Likes

Didn’t you say none of your contacts have phone numbers?

Soon™.

Oof, Linux filesystems are not suitable for removable storage by default :confused: Is there a solution without permission fiddling?

2 Likes