[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

This is probably beyond the scope of this forum, this thread, and this post, but…

If you didn’t reactivate root access, how would that impact the user experience? A lot of things I’ve installed required root to be properly installed, etc.

Can Linux be used without root access and still allow one to customize and install stuff?

1 Like

More observations:
RAM used: 31% (981MB of 2.1GB) - I’ve installed a few applications myself.
vpu-thermal: 37.00 degrees C
gpu-thermal: 37.00 degrees C
cpu-thermal: 37.00 degrees C
max170xx_battery: 33.40 degrees C
(Not running anything; phone is mostly idle.)

Phone charges slowly - more like a laptop than what we’re used to with phones. Can take hours, depending on the start level.

I’ve noticed that sudo actions in terminal don’t ask for a password.

New software update available today.

Edit: RAM used down to 25% (772MB of 2.3GB) after software update.
“System” shows 220MB used.
Total Capacity 30.2GB. Available: 27.6GB.

Edit2: After updates are installed, see blue notification LED, and list of the newly installed packages can be reviewed.

4 Likes

Hey, me too! I wonder if we’ll get that cool thank you card from Todd :thinking:

1 Like

Those of us surviving on rooted Androids my be forgiven for forgetting, but yeah, rooting a phone is a real and exploitable security risk for users. I think the point here is that because PureOS is not trying to restrict you from doing anything with your phone during normal operation, or force you to accept spyware by default, there is far less need for you to walk around with a less-secure rooted device on a regular basis…

1 Like

That’s exactly the reason I’ve asked whether it is meant that root’s password is locked rather than root’s account. UID 0 is sacred in linux, init runs under UID 0 and forks and setuids all other processes. You cannot disable this account without modifying kernel and libs (I’d imagine many have uid 0 handled separately and explicitly).

Password lock has zero impact on OS functionality, only on user (or should we say - admin?) experience.

1 Like

Krzyszkowiak also reports that charging in the Librem 5 is currently limited to 0.5 amps, so current charging is limited to 5Vx0.5A (2.5W), 9Vx0.5A (4.5W) and 12Vx0.5A (6W), but the code to vary the amperage is waiting to be accepted upstream, so that should be solved soon.

From here:

1 Like

I’ m recommending that the root conversation be moved to its own thread as it may continue on for some time as it seems interesting.

Same to the deliberations of “when” and the meaning of time (there are several thread already for that).

Please practice some thread hygiene :wink:

1 Like

Incidentally, @guru, I checked the wayback machine, and the campaign was at ~85% on our day.

Like @ruff said, only the root password is locked, meaning no one can log in as root. Things like sudo work as expected and rootful things (like apt update/upgrade) can still be done. I even think sudo su - works with the root password locked, so it’s not really restricting too much and can be easily removed by those who want to.

Feel free to move this to a new thread, didn’t see @JR-Fi’s comment until I finished writing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure on topic separation. Would be nice I think.

I didn’t even know that you could disable login into the root account, but still use sudo normally. I have NEVER logged into root except when SSH’ing into a few servers of mine.

1 Like

Fastest way is that one of you just starts a new thread and recaps what’s necessary from here…

Please move questions/comments on locked root passwords here

6 Likes

15 Likes

CORRECTION:
There is in fact a protector on the screen after peeling off the outer protector. Don’t know how I missed that…

8 Likes

ordered mine September 28, 2017 and no email yet but i don’t mind waiting, it will give me something to look forward to as UK lockdown bleeds into xmas :rofl:

2 Likes

16 Likes

I am not sure. That’s why I asked…

Since I’m new to linux devices that can make cellular calls does anyone know if there is a terminal command to make calls such as " Sudo APT call 5557656587 ?

I’m going to nerd the F out if thats a thing when I get my L5 xD

5 Likes

xdg-open tel://1234 works for me :wink:

18 Likes

ohhhhhh boy xD I cant wait to make a call from inside a terminal . Life 2.0 !!

6 Likes