[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

You can do sudo passwd to set (and thus unlock) the account’s password

10 Likes

This is what I assumed and am glad is the case. It wouldn’t make much sense with how much one needs root access to have that functionality locked away. I think having it set like this though helps many people, who have never used Linux to not accidentally hose their L5.

So far the L5 really seems to live up to the general-computing device in your pocket moniker. I’m super pumped.

8 Likes

Ah, OK, I thought that they have done something more dramatic. If it is just this it is fine.

2 Likes

It’s more secure to lock the root account. You own the phone, not us, so if you don’t like that default, you can change it back.

12 Likes

Same charger specs.
The dimensions look right, by my imprecise measurements.

3 Likes

29 Likes

I’m waiting for mine, super excited!I ordered August 2nd of last year. Will I get mine before January at least?

I wonder if you can just install the megapixels deb package…

Thanks! If anyone else is interested: I contributed to the campaign on September 27th, 2017, and I haven’t received the email yet.

1 Like

Yeah, the only implication of the default setting for me was that I had to unlearn sudo su and start using sudo -s :smiley:

Have you checked the web archive for a snapshot on or near that date? You can see how many backers there already were as of then.

January 2021 ?
What makes you sure about that?

I’m usually doing sudo -i as it inits root profile (like su - )

He wasn’t saying that he was getting his before Jan. He was asking and hoping that was the case.

6 Likes

This is probably beyond the scope of this forum, this thread, and this post, but…

If you didn’t reactivate root access, how would that impact the user experience? A lot of things I’ve installed required root to be properly installed, etc.

Can Linux be used without root access and still allow one to customize and install stuff?

1 Like

More observations:
RAM used: 31% (981MB of 2.1GB) - I’ve installed a few applications myself.
vpu-thermal: 37.00 degrees C
gpu-thermal: 37.00 degrees C
cpu-thermal: 37.00 degrees C
max170xx_battery: 33.40 degrees C
(Not running anything; phone is mostly idle.)

Phone charges slowly - more like a laptop than what we’re used to with phones. Can take hours, depending on the start level.

I’ve noticed that sudo actions in terminal don’t ask for a password.

New software update available today.

Edit: RAM used down to 25% (772MB of 2.3GB) after software update.
“System” shows 220MB used.
Total Capacity 30.2GB. Available: 27.6GB.

Edit2: After updates are installed, see blue notification LED, and list of the newly installed packages can be reviewed.

4 Likes

Hey, me too! I wonder if we’ll get that cool thank you card from Todd :thinking:

1 Like

Those of us surviving on rooted Androids my be forgiven for forgetting, but yeah, rooting a phone is a real and exploitable security risk for users. I think the point here is that because PureOS is not trying to restrict you from doing anything with your phone during normal operation, or force you to accept spyware by default, there is far less need for you to walk around with a less-secure rooted device on a regular basis…

1 Like

That’s exactly the reason I’ve asked whether it is meant that root’s password is locked rather than root’s account. UID 0 is sacred in linux, init runs under UID 0 and forks and setuids all other processes. You cannot disable this account without modifying kernel and libs (I’d imagine many have uid 0 handled separately and explicitly).

Password lock has zero impact on OS functionality, only on user (or should we say - admin?) experience.

1 Like

Krzyszkowiak also reports that charging in the Librem 5 is currently limited to 0.5 amps, so current charging is limited to 5Vx0.5A (2.5W), 9Vx0.5A (4.5W) and 12Vx0.5A (6W), but the code to vary the amperage is waiting to be accepted upstream, so that should be solved soon.

From here:

1 Like