Shipping starts in a week , any email's received yet?

According to Huawei, a 5G modem (0.6-6 GHz) requires 2.5 times more energy to operate compared to an LTE modem and advanced cooling (copper sheet, evaporative heat pipes or graphene film), so it is unlikely to be available on an M.2 card (at least at the current state of the technology).

24-86 GHz 5G also requires more energy, but Motorola managed to make it work in a Moto Mod attachment, so it might be possible on a M.2 card, but using those frequencies is a really bad idea and I’m hoping that it fails.

2 Likes

Living in a village I do not see much use for 5G because of the lousy range (comparable ti WiFi). Except if you have your own 5G base station. But then you must have a free band (we do not have) and the range should be at least a few kilometers. That would require the lower frequencies.

Unless you do as some operators: Rebrand old fashioned LTE as “5G”. Marketing is a strange thing … For no cost at all you suddenly have the new hype “5G”, OK, you may need a new dekal.

2 Likes

So what e-mail is the mail sent to? Your account e-mail that you ordered with or the shipping/billing e-mail?

I changed the email address in my customer account after having ordered Librem 5 and also received the email asking my preferred batches, so I can tell you the email address you filled in in the ordering form is used.
I think I’ve read on this forum that you may change the email address associated to your order by asking it by email to ops@puri.sm, referencing your order number.

I ordered in October 2017 and I didn’t receive the email yet, I changed the email in my account last year, but I’m not sure if that is the problem, I just sent an email to Purism.

1 Like

If you already sent the email, then it makes no difference for this case, but usually for requests such as shipping address updates and contact information updates it would be best to send such requests to: support@puri.sm

1 Like

I changed my email in my Purism account and a bit later I received a batch shipping email from one of Purism’s excellent tech support people! Life is good again.

3 Likes

I as well, but hopefully before doing irreparable damage to wildlife :frowning: I remember reading somewhere that the fist Librem 5s won’t ship 5g capable but the M2 slot is upgradeable. O.K. if some people want to do that fine but, y’know, I might get pregnant by accident and I don’t think carrying what’s essentially a base station repeater around in my pocket is very good for zygote development :hushed:

2 Likes

As card efficiencies improve both by wiring and design, current cards should take less power and 5G cards should accordingly decrease in power consumption. As the battery is replaceable in the phone, I imagine it is also possible that new form factors may allow a greater power storage in some manner that can be accommodated by the battery positioning sothat power considerations over time may be altered by either of the two factors, if not by both of them.

1 Like

Ordered in October 2018, haven’t gotten an email.

By this stage, I would be following the advice in this specific post Shipping starts in a week , any email's received yet? and proactively contacting support.

1 Like

I want to wait until Evergreen so I answered with “1. Evergreen”. I hope thats all right because I did not write a second or third choice. If would have to write a second or third choice in reverse order of the shipments.

Should be OK because everyone should be entitled to Evergreen.

2 Likes

Ordered in October 2017 and I got the email last week. Picked the first 3 batches in order. I want my Librem ASAP so I can start testing, hacking, and using it. Not interested in little refinements and spec bumps at this time.

3 Likes

From here probably:

https://puri.sm/faq/will-the-phone-support-5g-networks/

2 Likes

got my email and my reply is sure to free up some slots for “Aspen/Birch” lovers ! :vulcan_salute:

6 Likes

Mine too :v: (20chars)

1 Like

Ah, yes most likely :slight_smile: (it was a while ago). Heeeeyyy…while I have your attention…any idea the size of the batches? Roughly how many ?

a thousand would be my 1st guess

2 Likes

since now the company will have received the answers from the users about the lot they prefer, it would be nice to know which lot has been entered. Even just a list, published on the site, with the order number.
I think it would be nice to wait for an email you don’t know when it arrives.

4 Likes