L5 USB Car Chargers

Has anybody tested those cigarette lighter USB 2.0 chargers with their L5? I know it would require a USB-C to USB 2.0

it should work, with a limited current at 500ma (USB 2.0 specs), so it will be charging slower than with the provided USB-PD charger

Yes it works. But it barely suffice to keep the charge, L5 isnā€™t getting charged so much probably because of the limited current mentioned by fralb5.

For myself aluminum body and proper shape/stability comes at first place. Secondly without 2.4A pro USB2.0 charging port someone is just throwing their money away (simple approach). 500mA approach from @fralb5 I cannot follow as adequate for car charger selection, let me pretend I disagree, as Librem 5 will take what it needs (500mA or more) but if charger is weaker than 5V/2.4A pro ā€¦ old man (although this is my main point here). I have several car chargers (my favorite one even includes BC1.2, but itā€™s not for everyoneā€™s need, as provides 100W in total) but car chargers like this one and this one (AliExpress links) are from reliable manufacturers (if someone donā€™t want to spend hours in searching, without knowing for what to pay up front). And, for example, this one confirms BC1.2 charging protocol (might turn out it is just fine car charger for Librem 5, but no need to test it myself).

2 Likes

That might be right.

Ignoring inefficiencies, if the 4500 mAh battery is flat in 9 hours with the phone doing nothing then the phone, while doing nothing, is drawing about 500 mA i.e. the charging of the battery is ā€œrunning on the spotā€ if the charger can only deliver 500 mA.

I donā€™t know whether it is possible to charge the phone (battery) while the phone is powered off. If you shut down the phone and then plug it in to charge (using the supplied charger) then the phone immediately boots, which isnā€™t really what I want.

2 Likes

The USB 2.0 specs limit to 500ma, but if your charger can do more, the Librem 5 internal charger can go up to a 3.25A limit

But you will have to set up manually, with the following command line

But be extra careful with this command, you can break your stuff with it, here some recommandations

I suggest you to go check this thread, there some others interesting stuff about it

Also remember that the optimization of power consumption is a work in progress, it will get better with time (and updates)

1 Like

Iā€™m by no means an expert, but TIā€™s bq25895 includes support for ā€œnon-standardā€ adapter 1A, 2A, 2.1A and 2.4A:

ā€œBesides USB500 and DCP, the device can also detect three types of non-standard adapters as shown in Table 5-1.ā€

ā€œWhen DCD 0.5 sec timer expires, the non-standard adapter detection is used to distinguish three different divider bias conditions on D+/D- pins. When non-standard adapter is detected, the input current limit (REG0[2:0]) is set based on Table 5-2 and REG08[7:6] is set to 10 (Adapter port). If non-standard adapter is not detected, REG08[7:6] is set to 00 (Unknown) and the input current limit is set in REG0[2:0] to 500mA by default.ā€

If you insist, but: ā€œMost HVDCP adapters that use the QC3.0 protocol are rated to 1.5A instead of the 3.25A of a DCP. ā€¦ At the present time, there are no adapters that include the MaxChargeā„¢ algorithm.ā€

Just FYI (or orientation) above post info (as linked) TI published on Dec. 30, 2020! And, @Torrone already linked another (quite) related issue:

Take a look here: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/librem5-base/-/merge_requests/190.

1 Like

Injoinic Technology IP6505 eSOP8 is a Synchronous-Rectified Buck Converter and support 10 fast charge output standards (to include DCP / with BC1.2 support in particular). Therefore I think (after some research) that this car charger with two IP6505 power converters (one pro USB-A 24W port) might be worth of trying it out (order it before sold out and try it out with Librem 5). @brandonrosano, please let us know if this car charger worked out well for you (once in use).

And, if anyone looks for the IP6538 power converter based solution, link is here.

Edit: In exchange, once I get my Librem 5, Iā€™ll test YZ826 (using Zhirong SW3518S charging chip) module with it.

1 Like

I think you missed my point, Iā€™m not insisting on anything, Iā€™m just giving specs here, with a way to set manually the input power, and warnings about it
You are talking about handshake protocols to auto-determine input power

1 Like

Yes. And as a slow motion learning person I might even speculate on Librem 5 using brand new TIā€™s bq25790* battery charger ICs that is able to detect USB BC1.2, SDP, CDP, DCP, HVDCP and non-standard adapters, meaning negotiate (handshake) preferred current with the Librem 5 original charger (or some adequate car charger), as Iā€™m trying to understand this (as example here).

Either way, and even if bq25980 eventually in use Iā€™d recommend Iā€™m aware of only several options for Librem 5 that may count, and those are 500mA, 700mA, 1.1A, 1.3A, 1.6A, 1.8A, 2.1A and 2.4A as described here and here:
#define BQ25890_TREG_TBL_SIZE ARRAY_SIZE(bq25890_treg_tbl)

*ā€œWhen the adapter is unplugged, the sources to power the system and accessories can switch from the adapter to the battery seamlessly, making it possible to eliminate the DC/DC converter for OTG mode and FRS from the block diagram.ā€ This might be found (just my nonexpert opinion) as big advantage of bq25790, but only few people here, to include @guido.gunther, know exactly if applicable (and how to) or not.

1 Like

@Quarnero as you say bq25895 is capable of charging at higher currents we currently basically only enable this for pd charging (up to 5V/3A with pd contract) not for e.g. USB-3, BC1.2 or similar.

Weā€™ve verified we can trigger higher charging currents for ā€˜usb-3, bc1.2, ā€¦ā€™ too but thatā€™s not enabled at the moment since that needs some additional signalling in the USB stack weā€™re currently missing.

So for car usage a PD charger is likely the safest bet at the moment (and which is what iā€™m using).

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @guido.gunther, helping me to understand proper approach!

And, to me now looks like that something like DUX DUCISĀ® PD3.0 (including PD PPS) car charger (over USB-C to USB-C cable) should be compatible with the Librem 5 battery expectations from its PD port. Same product (relatively cheap) Aliexpress links are here and here.

Note: This car charger isnā€™t tested from my side (no promise it will work as it should).

@Quarnero something like these should work. Iā€™m using a similar one from varta and added it to the list of the ones i tested here: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/firmware-tps6598x-nonfree/-/merge_requests/24/diffs (not a buying recommendation, just something that works for me)

3 Likes

This Joyroom C-A42 car charger should be published here (perhaps; while not tested from my side like within post above mentioned VARTA 57932, sorry for that), as confirmed it is based around the fast charging protocol chip Zhirong SW3526. Yet I donā€™t even own here linked one, but @brandonrosano and @xpf please feel free to try it (as Iā€™m about to test SW3518S and SW2305 controllers, Type-C port version ZC832 actually, once Librem 5 in my hands).

I am responding to discussion that started in a completely unrelated topic but instead fits much better here.

Iā€™ve just received a new car charger. I bought the ALOGIC Rapid 2 Port USB-A + USB-C car charger. (Model number is CRCA57.) Works properly with the Librem 5.

Specs say:

• can deliver a maximum of 45W on the USB-C PD port, and
  • 12W on the USB-A port (for the g/fā€™s iPhone LOL) - 5V/2.4A
  • The USB-C port offers: 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 15V/3A and 20V/2.25A

So the USB-C port should be good to go if and when Purism opens up higher charging power (current or voltage).

Even comes with a bonus USB-C to USB-C cable, showing the wisdom of Purismā€™s decision to go for something standard(!) rather than some non-standard Apple thingy. (The bonus cable allows me to leave the Purism-supplied cable attached to the Purism-supplied charger, in the house.)

Right now it will charge at 1.6A - same as the Purism-supplied charger - but I believe that that is being limited on the Librem 5 side. I believe that that is at 5V (hence a nominal power of 8W). Now if only we could get to go on an actual road trip ā€¦ :slight_smile:

The above charger has a blue LED on the charger that shows that the charger is receiving power. Thatā€™s nice but I am not sure how it would be driving at night. Itā€™s not ridiculously bright and may or may not be distracting. That remains to be tested. Mind you, cars these days are starting to resemble a 747 cockpit anyway with zillions of lights, buttons, ā€¦

@Zimmy
@TacticalPandaLE

3 Likes

Nice. I like having a light on the charger, letā€™s me know if/when Iā€™ve bumped it loose. Iā€™ve never found it distracting while driving.

-edit- just purchased one. I can at least use it with my iPhone while waiting for my L5, thanks @irvinewade for the tip.

2 Likes

Reposting Amazon links to the two USB-C car chargers that I ordered. Both work as advertised. The charger of the first link (Anker) has two USB-C ports and the charger at the second link (Vena) has one USB-C port and one USB-A port.

From the Q&A of the Anker link, we see:

ā€œQ: Is the usb c pd 3.0?
A: USB PIQ 3.0 ports can choose between PD and Quick Charge 3. It can delivery up to 30 watts in the top port and 18 watts in the bottom port. So as long as your device will take a USB C cable, youā€™ll be fine.ā€

2 Likes