[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

Finally remembered to get and test the second Q heifer but no sign of the double-tap or did not work at all. Was it suppose to be included in the plain amber phone images (6044, 6119, updated)…?

FYI a kernel update has just arrived that enables proper USB PD current negotiation :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Thank you for the update! Does fast charge degrade the battery faster? If so, can we manually choose the charge rate?

1 Like

Yes, you could do that already before as well:

sudo i2cset -f -y 3 0x6a 0x00 <VALUE>

where <VALUE> is between 0x00 (100mA) and 0x3f (3.25A). See https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq25895.pdf page 32. You can verify the currently set value with

cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq25890-charger/input_current_limit

This is also useful to set input current limit to a higher value than the default 500mA when using USB-A chargers.

6 Likes

If I Set it that way, how to get then back to the proper USB PD current negotiation?
Just remove the USB-C cable?

I would issue a WARNING here for anyone tempted: BE extra careful with this kind of command, before using it :

• if it’s connected to a charger or powerbank, check its capabilities (ex: 5V ⎓ 2A)
  • if it’s connected to a device USB port, what kind is it ?

• Double, triple check the command line before validation
  • It’s safe to put a lower value than the one already set
  • if you want to put a higher value you have to understand what you are doing

/!\ Do not use if you are not sure of what you’re doing /!\
You could seriously damage you stuff !

Feel free to add any other security recommandations, or to explain to me if I over-reacted here :wink:

@Cc281080 : I assume you could save the value before changing it and putting it back, or disconnect-reconnect the USB-PD cable

3 Likes

Yes.

You didn’t, thanks for saying that :slight_smile: Maybe with one comment: the phone will stop drawing power automatically once the voltage drops below a certain threshold, and setting a high value won’t necessarily mean that it will draw that much power (it’s just the maximum limit), so with well-behaving chargers it shouldn’t really be dangerous. However, keep in mind that not all chargers are well-behaving.

Let me stress the importance of another warning though:

i2cset is a low level tool that allows you to directly set certain hardware registers. Always make sure you have typed the arguments correctly since you may be one typo away from breaking your hardware. When it doubt, consult the datasheet.

3 Likes

The charging ability of a device is a pair of values: voltage and current. So your device might have the rating of 5V and 2A. This will be noted as sth like 5V·2A or 5V, 2A, or 5V@2A. But I’ve never seen “5V == 2A”, and let no one be fooled that there’s any kind of equality there :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You are thinking to much like a low level developper ! :smiley:
I used == because my lazy ass didn’t looked for the DC symbol Unicode character
So by (5V == 2A) I meant (5V ⎓ 2A)
I’ll edit my post :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Nah, I’m thinking about all the people without much physics knowledge that might come here and misinterpret the mental shortcuts those more experienced take. Thanks for updating!

4 Likes

can you find the app ‘Metadata Cleaner’ on the L5 store ?
just noticed this GUI-front-end on PureOS-10-Byzantium store today and wondered if it’s on L5 as well.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

But only more is preinstalled :slight_smile:

on the desktop PureOS less comes preinstalled :stuck_out_tongue:

so less is more :wink:

I never knew how much typing “less” is ingrained in my muscle memory. I am very close to installing it on my L5 :).

Where can I by merchandise with this sentence?

If you are only worried about typing then use alias ?

THat what I do with vim on barebone dockers. less is more or less sortable but vim is a beatch.

I am looking for some solutions on these issues:

Is it possible for L5 to get network access though USB-C connected to a L13 that has ethernet connection(with extra ethernet adapter)?

If not, is it possible to connect L5 from its USB-C to standard USB eth adapters and have network working through this instead of wifi?

Has anyone succeeded in changing the black background to a personal image? Is it possible somehow to change the blue abstract background one sees when waiting for an app to launch?

1 Like

it’d be nice if you could take a simple usb-C (3.0 or more speed) 10/100/1000 external NIC with just one RJ-45 port on the other end and simply plug an ethernet cable coming from the router/switch/gateway/AP/etc./what-have-you, directly in and have internet connectivity like on a desktop …