Librem 5 out of memory on Boot partition

Hello Pak
Sadly these can’t be removed as there are unmet dependencies ie 6.6.0-1
It looks like I can’t remove anything because of unmet dependencies and can’t install the dependencies due to having no space on /root.
Thanks.
kkollin

1 Like

There are force options in dpkg, but they are more riskier:

sudo dpkg -P --force-all linux-image-6.1.0-1-librem5

Check twice to avoid typo.
Other way to create the necessary space on /boot is to remove manualy old unused kernel image e.g /boot/vmlinuz-6.0.1-1-librem5.

4 Likes

Brilliant pak. The force worked and I removed 6.1 and 6.2 and then managed to install 6.6.0-1
Thank you so much for finding the time to help me. I’m very grateful.
kkollin

1 Like

You’re welcome!
I would recommend to keep max 3 kernel images. IMO two are enough: the newest and the former good working one.

2 Likes

Good idea. I removed 6.3.0-1 and 6.4.0-1 but when I run dpkg -l linux-image these two still show but labeled rc. I suppose this means removed? 6.5.0-1 shows as in and 6.6.0-1 shows as ii and linux-image-librem5-6.6.6p shows as ii.
I suppose that I need to check how many images are building up and remove excess ones from time to time? Surely this should be automatically done during updates?
Thanks for your help
kkollin

1 Like

I got the out of memory on boot partition message.
I manuallly removed all linux-images bar the latest, now my phone has failed.
When dialing I see the 4 bars connection go grey and nothing happens.
It could be the modem has failed but I dont know how to check,
I am trying to figure out how to recover.
I was hoping to have a package check and recovery function.
I found that reflashing is an option but reflashing seems very difficult.

Anyone know of a way to recover old images?
I do run a daily backup, but I dont think it does Linux-images.

Thanks
Frank

1 Like

I can provide clear instructions for reflashing the Librem 5 with a new Byzantium image, so decide if you want it or not.

2 Likes

OK Thank you. FranklyFlawless
fwiw I thought PUREOS was a fork of Debian.

1 Like

PureOS is a Debian derivative. The instructions below assume you are running Debian or any of its derivatives, such as PureOS, using the x86-64 architecture, and that your Librem 5 is from the Evergreen batch:

sudo apt install git uuu
git clone https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/librem5-flash-image.git
cd librem5-flash-image
sudo apt build-dep .
sudo ./scripts/librem5-flash-image --udev
./scripts/librem5-flash-image --stable

After the Byzantium image has been downloaded, you will see the following instructions:

Enter the flashing mode by holding volume-up button while turning the phone on.

If it's not detected, follow these steps:
            - Ensure that the phone is powered off
            - Turn all Hardware-Kill-Switches off
            - Unplug the USB cable if connected
            - Remove battery
            - Hold volume-up button
            - Insert the USB-C cable (red light blinks, no green light)
            - Reinsert the battery (red and green lights constantly on, the script will continue)
            - Release volume-up button

After following those instructions, the Byzantium image will be flashed onto the phone, so during these 10 or so minutes, take a break and grab a ${DRINK_OF_CHOICE} until the procedure is complete.

5 Likes

Thank you FranklyFlawless, the update worked well
my present version is as below

Unfortunately, my problem remains.
When calling the signal strength bars, after about 3 seconds, get greyed out
I think the phone is broken.
Frank

==================
purism@pureos:~$ uname -srm
Linux 6.6.0-1-librem5 aarch64
purism@pureos:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 6.6.0-1-librem5 (builder@cumin-byzantium-updates-proposed-buildd-arm64-scrr) (aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35.2) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 10 09:42:16 UTC 2024
purism@pureos:~$ cat /etc/os-release
ID=pureos
NAME=PureOS
PRETTY_NAME=“PureOS 10 (Byzantium)”

VERSION_ID=“10”
VERSION_CODENAME=byzantium

HOME_URL=“https://pureos.net/”
SUPPORT_URL=“https://puri.sm/faq/#faq-WherecanIfindoutmoreaboutPureOS”
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://tracker.pureos.net/”

LOGO=pureos-logo-icon
purism@pureos:~$

1 Like

Good News
After doing an update from PureOs store and rebooting.

The librem5 is WORKING. Woo Hoo

Many thanks

3 Likes

I gather these are all done using the L5. Will it be OK to use the Hoyoki hub so I can type easier w/ keyboard & monitor?
Will your process still encrypt access?
Thank you

1 Like

No, you perform these commands on a separate computer to flash an image to the Librem 5. The Byzantium image is the encrypted variant, and 123456 is the default password.

1 Like

Sorry to seem dense: but…

If use another computer to flash the L5. Am I to attach the L5 somehow to that computer w/ PureOS? (My workstation desktop has PureOS on it.) Or do I use the network to reach from Desktop to L5?

1 Like

Was this not clear enough?

1 Like

Yes. It was clear. I remembered seeing your post, and quickly ran through it to see what I’d be up against. I do not remember the preamble: (my bad)

On your computer running PureOS or a recent Ubuntu-based Linux distribution (Librem 5 not yet attached):

Your post started off well, and while reading it again today before doing anything, I found the answer in step 5 …

follow the on-screen prompt to attach the Librem 5 for flashing.

Just a suggestion, perhaps Preamble with ‘tools you’ll need’ i.e. (link to removing battery), a USB cable w/ C on one end and A on the other, a computer, preferably with PureOS, and a good connection to Internet (IMO, computer preferably cabled to Internet).

I will try harder next time to keep track of posts w/ answers.

Thanks for your hard work Amarok. The post deserves a spot in Docs, or wherever search will easily find it.

I’ll report back soon as to how it goes.

4 Likes

FWIW.
I ran all the upgrade instructions directly on the Librem 5.
BUT
I linked L5 to a Bonelk 7 port Hub that has a wired Cat 5 connection to my internet.
The Bonelk Hub needs to be powered by the charger that comes with the L5 and the L5 connects to the USBC cable that trails out of the hub.
I used a keyboard mouse and monitor linked to the hub.

The first thing I did upon connection is go in Settings/ Displays on the L5 and switch the display to my Samsung monitor.

Then I ran the remaining commands via terminal on the L5.

No other computer was needed.

Frank

1 Like

The assumption of reflashing is that sometimes someone will need to reflash in the scenario where their Librem 5 is borked. So, in that case, you will undeniably need one other computer.

However I think your topic has been hijacked - so that the original problem and the solution may be different.

1 Like

my .02 cents. Nothing is ever going to be perfect. But give me a choice between the spyware devices that track absolutely every detail you do and Librem 5. well it is not a choice imo, is it?

2 Likes

This!

(And worth the full 2 cents, not just 2/100ths cents. :wink: )

1 Like