It looks like at least one company is going to offer some accessories.
Good find. Looks like they’re selling a general products under known brand/products though
“ENGINEERED WITH PRECISION to fit the exact dimensions of your beloved Purism Librem 5.” Some specs are still unknown, it is hopeful to see suppliers keeping an eye out on the Librem 5 release.
An official teaming up by Purism and a third party manufacturer - like MS did with
Mozo - would be nice to ensure that every accessory will fit and meets Purism quality standard.
You need no friends …with a 3d printer.
You simply purchase it at e.g. https://i.materialise.com/en/shop/category/gadgets/cases
All we need is a good 3d model.
3D printing models may work for some but only cover the back and sides. In every situation where my phones were damaged it was always the screen that was cracked. A 3D printing model does not prevent that from happening nor does it prevent from scratching when it is tucked in a pair of jeans or jacket. Still unknown if and how replacement screens will be made available. Taking into account that with every screen cracked the phone needs to be RMA’d to the US, I’d prefer a more durable yet maybe higher priced of the shelve solution.
A flip cover upon release would be very much appreciated
Make sure you don’t crack your screen before they open their German location
Moto Z2 Force
Though, has a plastic screen (P - OLED) and instead of glass (like other oems do) it’s covered w plastic on top
I think custom made screen protectors should be also available somewhere. I didn’t test/buy one until now but a quick search did bring up (untested!!) things like:
As soon as I have the final dimensions, I will update this one:
The .scad file is compiled by OpenSCAD to generate an .stl file. The model will work for silicone or any rubber-like material. A one-off at 3D hubs runs ~$70, but the price drops considerably with a volume order. Purism employees have communicated with me about this, but I am not aware of any plans to commercialize it by Purism.
Best would be to have Purism contact a preferred supplier for both cases, flip covers and screen protectors. I’m well aware this accessory thingy is not a Purism businesses. However, in order to get the L5 marketed and avoid RMA’s and disappointment/bad PR, they simply need to get the hardware and the basic accessories business aligned. When starting development of the phone it was obvious that there would be a demand for the basic needs in that regard.
Based on current and future sales as well as iterations a supplier should be able to manufacture a limited production run at an acceptable price point. Prior to that a final L5 version should be sent out to them to make sure the products will fit and to determine whether microphone/speaker/camera/USB/headphone out/sensors are all cut out right. The pre-production run needs testing by Purism and approval for us to order the products knowing they meet the quality standards and exact sizes.
This is the first picture Ive seen of a side profile of a final mockup . looks like the hardware switches will be reminiscent of the I phone 6 era mute switch . Cool . That really is a great looking phone.
Yea , I was referring to the side profile of what we can expect. Ive seen the new front facing image . Unfortunately there are side side or rear profile of that iteration .
Often a consideration is to see some similar sized phone, if one has been made either current or in the past.
Some product of a past application might often be repurposed.
For screen protector, I would buy whatever from mall that has closest matching size, maybe a little bigger than phone’s screen and cut it out until it fits, that if purism doesn’t sell a matching size phone’s screen protector.
I searched on vaguely similar size (there is no exact match - but then again, there are no verified measurements either). Width in most cases needs to be almost exact, height may be bit longer and thickness may allow a maybe a 1-2mm either way - depending on how elastic or rigid the case is. Circumference (of some direction - often sideways, including the two sides and back width) is often the key and two out of three dimensions need to be pretty close for the case to hold on (if no glue or mechanisms). Closest to “147.1x73.3x15mm” were such celebrated phones as (I’ve removed ones with odd features/humps):
- Plum Gator 4 (146.6 x 75.9 x 14 mm) [only 0.5mm shorter and sides+back only 0.6mm more]
- Cat S31 (146 x 74.4 x 12.6 mm)
- Kyocera DuraForce Pro (148.4 x 73.4 x 12.9 mm)
- Archos Saphir 50X (146.6 x 76 x 13 mm)
- Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 (150.2 x 73.4 x 13.5 mm)
- Land Rover Explore (152 x 75.3 x 14 mm
- Samsung I9500 Fraser (153.9 x 76.4 x 14.8 mm)
- Plum Gator 5 (148 x 76.3 x 12 mm)
- Cat S41 (152 x 75 x 12.9 mm)
- ZTE Axon M (150.9 x 71.6 x 12.2 mm)
- BLU Tank Xtreme Pro (147.5 x 71.5 x 12.7 mm)
- BLU Energy Diamond (147.5 x 71.5 x 12.7 mm)
- verykool s757 (148 x 77 x 12.8 mm)
(edit: have to love the names in this category )
All cases need modding, as buttons and camera holes are in wrong spots. Most are already rugged design, which limits case availablity. Also apparently with less market comes less good/quality choices. I only used ebay as a reference, but maybe someone will find something interesting from another source. Pouches and belt holsters and such are easy to find, but nothing really protective.
Examples (no model or store endorsed, may not fit):
- Stretches to cover corners, multiple colors, will fit (think Borat bathing suit ): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAND-BUMPER-EDGE-SOFT-CASE-COVER-SKIN-FOR-BLU-Tank-Xtreme-Pro/293105353965?var=591967528480&hash=item443e70c4ed:g:kjIAAOSwJnxctjdH
- TPU in black, but holes are not right, might fit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Case-for-Cat-S31-Smartphone-Cell-Phone-Protector-Cover-TPU-Rubber-Black/383086331708?epid=23013430070&hash=item5931b9873c:g:7tgAAOSwZvRaYdGt
- General use wallet, glue type, should fit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Archos-Saphir-50X-protective-case-black-cover-bag-wallet-flipstyle-Case-Cove/132736123554?hash=item1ee7b082a2:g:RhgAAOSwoutctN25
- General use wallet, pouch type, should fit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Caterpillar-Cat-S31-protective-case-bag-cover-with-screen-protection/132701058940?epid=11026290782&hash=item1ee599777c:g:dcwAAOSwrINc3Hzs
- Wallet with TPU: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Case-for-Cat-S31-Smartphone-Book-Style-Protective-Case-Phone-Case-Book-Green/123838007221?hash=item1cd55207b5:g:dlwAAOSw86JaYdH5
- Hardest (not that protective) case: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kickstand-Case-Cover-Belt-Clip-Holster-for-Kyocera-Duraforce-Pro-E6810-E6820/292764930213?hash=item442a2650a5:m:mv_2ReI-B03g5SliLBl2VgQ
If you find a good case made for these phones, link here. But I think any good case needs to be made specifically for L5.
Well, it was an idea and the Samsung model listed as 19500 Fraser might even make do, though I would not rely on it working out.
As noted by others however, dimensions not yet fully set as per Nicole Faeber, the CTO. How this might be the case is beyond me, though I do not claim to be a smartphone expert. Nonetheless, shell design was important to a laptop that I had worked towards implementation some years ago and its shell was clear months in advance.
Well, that was already two weeks ago.
The pictures included in the announcement toot look a bit like a prototype (seemingly missing power and volume buttons), but they still have almost two weeks left to iterate and fine-tune on them, giving us the best possible result even in Aspen, as the final milling should be a matter of hours (for the first ~100).
Although I don’t think that will have any real effect on the final dimensions (0.1mm … 1mm).
But the main thing is that Nicole probably has other priorities than knowing the exact final dimensions by heart. I would not read anything into that.
You may wish to commission an artist/maker on etsy?
I made good experiences with Mooncases. I am not sure if Mooncase is only the trader or the manufacturer.
- The phone is quite safe because of the rubber and plastics.
- The display is free. I like that because I can access it quickly and uncomplicated. I never had scratched screens. If you would like to there are screen protection foils.
- It’s got a foldable stand. So you can place the phone in portrait mode on your desk or wherever.
- It’s not too slippery.
- The sockets and camera are free and quick to access.
- I have seen it with rubber on some buttons for protection. In one case it is a bit hard to push the button, but that’s one I don’t use. I’ve also seen variants with a gap in the rubber where the button is.
- Because it is made of multiple components I was able to add a sling between the rubber and the plastic part so that the phone is safe when holding it for taking a picture and pushing the buttons on screen simultaniously.
- It looks cool. I get regularly asked: “What’s that phone?”, but it is only the cover.
Here are examples from Amazon Germany:
This is a variant I do not have experience with:
Seems Moonstore is the trader which is developing their own brand Mooncase at Shenzen China.