[MyL5] Received my Librem 5 (Evergreen)

True, but…

5 Likes

You found yet another bug!

6 Likes

It looks like a keyboard, it’s used like a keyboard, it replaces a keyboard… It’s a keyboard as far as us users are concerned, unless there is a special qualifying statement to indicate otherwise. Even if it’s a “virtual” or “minimum”. And it’s shorter to write keyboard. Efficiency wins most of the time.

5 Likes

Of course I’m not trying to redefine terms here - unfortunately we have to deal with somewhat misleading naming. As an example “predictive keyboard” is a misunderstanding: the prediction has little to do with keys (does a predictive keyboard help press Ctrl or arrows?), but rather with text.

What I wanted to highlight instead is the focus of the project. The way it looks is currently button-like, but it will get farther and farther from that as it gains features like popups, prediction/suggestions, and non-Latin script support.

7 Likes

“Keyboard with more features” (sorry) :wink:

But on the same note, I’m looking with interest: Snowl

1 Like

My thoughts on the state of the Librem 5 after using it for two weeks:

3 Likes

You haven’t tried convergence yet, have you?

Aren’t we still waiting for something to be implemented for that to work?

I seem to remember seeing it demonstrated on video. Thought you might not have a HDMI to USB-C adapter and was waiting for one.

HDMI to USB-C adapter: No, I don’t have one at the moment.

3 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion, @kieran! Very cool, and it wasn’t too hard to set up. I’ll run commands that way now.

Edit: I used this tutorial: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/beginners-guide-setting-ssh-linux-testing-setup/

2 Likes

How thick is it?

The footprint seems close to my OnePlus One, but how thick is the L5?

I don’t know whether you have ventured out of the house yet with your new phone but for running an SSH server in your pocket (SSHSiyP?) I would recommend going to /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the phone and

• changing the Port directive to move to a non-default port
  • adding an AllowUsers directive to limit to only user ‘amarok’, not purism (assuming that you created an account for yourself and obviously your account should have a strong password)

You could go further (e.g. firewall to make it basically not usable at all except when at home and e.g. …).

3 Likes
2 Likes

When I enabled ssh, this new setting appeared in the Sharing menu, which makes it easy to enable and disable it.

Or it can be disallowed in the firewall, too.
I doubt I’ll need to remote into the phone very much.

3 Likes

you might send the output to a .txt file and then attach it here. screenshots are inefficient for this task.

mount > mount.txt or mount >> mount-a.txt
df -h > dfh.txt or df-h >> dfh-a.txt

2 Likes

less is more :wink:

5 Likes

or view it on the phone.

Yes, pipe through more, pipe through less, anything that slows it down so that you can peruse the output.

1 Like

more drops you out if you reach the bottom end so … less is more :wink:

1 Like