3500 phones ordered, almost $2.5 million raised

3501 single phones as of this writing, to be precise, including the bundled ones.
~ 320 development boards have been ordered.

While in January the funding grew about 3% points, it dropped to ~ 1.5% in February and March, resulting from a lack of interesting news, I suppose. Then it gained some momentum in April ~(2.3%), May (~3.4%) and will likely grow more than 4% in June.

This rise definitely was caused by new announcements, especially about the dev boards and (somewhat) finalized specs.
But also, it seems like somebody realized summer is approaching and ordered like 300 shirts… :wink:

Not only are (growing) numbers fun, they also should create some confidence:

• Even though the original campaign ended about half a million above the goal, some questioned whether Purism could really make it. By now, another half million dollars are there to prevent the lights will go out.
  • Also, instead of the minimum quantity of ~ 750…2500 devices Purism implicitly committed to have produced (funding goal divided by device options), now it will be at the very least 3500. Likely ~4000 if the current trend continues.

Assuming they’ll put some on stock, they will likely order 5000…10000 devices, which is probably significantly more cost effective than ordering just 2500.
So, things look pretty good, I think :sunglasses:

18 Likes

@Caliga I needed those shirts to escape from my jail cell atop a high tower, no sheets were available on hand :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Great stats, thanks @Caliga!

Out of curiosity, did you make a web scraper, or did you manually poll all those metrics by hand?
I actually considered writing a scraper myself, but ended up not doing it mostly out of laziness :slight_smile:

See? :grinning:
I was interested enough to put the numbers in a LibreOffice sheet, but didn’t even automate the fetching… Which is so simple I guess I really should have done it… And possibly, postprocessing would just be a grep with some pipes behind it. Hm… maybe I’ll reconsider :wink:

Btw, I didn’t even poll regularly, as you can tell from the not so sudden spike of @0591ryan’s shirt order. :wink: I think that was in one or two days. But usually I take several samples per month.

1 Like

Achievement unlocked: crossed 2.5 million line (166.66%).
I think the guy who ordered phone #3307 deserves a free shirt :wink:
(3530 phones including those bundles)

2 Likes

wake me up when september ends …

@Caliga If you wanted to fill in some gaps in your data, archive.org has been capturing the funding page!

Not quite there yet. You may hit snooze now.

@patch: good to know :slight_smile:

Stats update:
3801 phones ordered (including bundles), more than $2.65 million raised

new phone orders, raised percent: (rough)
May: +78 phones (+3,4%)
June: +90 phones (+4.1%)
July: +105 phones (+4,3%)
August: +130 phones (+4,9%)

loving that trend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m so excited to finally be able to claim one of the September spots as my own! Took me a while to get the funds but I did!

1 Like

I’m one of the 2 from September 4th :smiley:

1 Like

Stats update:
2017-10-26: crossed 3000 ordered devices
2018-10-15: crossed 4000 ordered devices (almost exactly 4 months after crossing 3500)
September: +180 phones (+6,9%) !!!
October: + 109 phones (+4,2%)
So, 4068 preordered devices as of today, including bundles.

And consistently more than 100 preorders/month for the last 4 months. (106…180, 130 on average)
That might already be sufficient for being sustainable, but hopefully that number will grow even more when the phone is actually on stock.
250/month would be a good start :wink: This would still only mean 3000 to be manufactured per year, which is not much if one expects prices to go down and development (rev2) to continue.

Funding currently grows about $100,000 per month, so we’d reach $3 million by the end of the year, doubling the campaign goal. I’d love to hit at least the first stretch goal (4 million), just because, but I guess we won’t…

10 Likes

bump. update please !

1 Like

I would if I could… numbers are no longer public, as the campaign page is gone.

Extrapolation:
2019-02-15: ~4500 devices (~4750 with increased public interest)
2019-06-15: ~5000 devices (~5500 with increased public interest)
More than 6000 before shipping starts seems unlikely.

3 Likes

Silent but not committed buyers… when is the suspected ship/order date?

I know here in Miami FL there are at least 3 phones to be sold on campus… One of us is replacing Samsung the other 2 are looking to ditch their Blackberry Key2 and Key2 LE after the EULA to share all data with China via TCL TCT making the most secure mobile device the most blatant security leak.

1 Like

For completeness’ sake, I’ll add that my optimistic prediction might not have been optimistic enough:

Apparently, the devkit shipment led to an unexpected spike in orders.

It is not implausible that a similar thing happened during the shipping-Q3-daily-video campaign and after the CCC talk.

So, possibly orders are now closer to 10k than to 6k. Or at least somewhere between that.

During the CCC talk, Nicole hinted that they manufacture in 10k quantities, which either means 10k or a few more, depending on how many they want to put on stock.

4 Likes

I suppose the development costs by far outweigh the production costs. I had the impression that I was mainly paying for the development of a new type of mobile phone. Thus they could put a lot in stock - the only problem is if they would like to make changes in the hardware which is very likely as the technology improves fairly rapidly.

1 Like

As I’m a bit pedantic, I’ll just have to add some numbers that I previously missed…

DevKits ordered: 313 or more (at least 293 at $299, and 20 at $399)

Date Librem 5 orders Note
2017-10-28 3012 campaign end
2017-12-31 3148 +136
2018-06-23 3529 +381
2018-11-18 4102 +573
Date Librem 5 orders Linear Extapolation (rounded numbers)
2018-12-31 4250 +150     !!! extrapolated !!!
2019-12-31 5350 +1100   !!! extrapolated !!!
2020-12-31 6450 +1100   !!! extrapolated !!!

Obviously, extrapolated numbers are unreliable. Like a weather forecast.

2 Likes

According to this i’m sitting at around 3200+or-
Christmas for me maybe?