List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]

How does it rate against PureMaps?

PureMaps is definitely more full-featured: it has options that GNOME Maps doesn’t, such as searching for nearby venues; more types of map overlay; auto-centering; etc.

At the moment, the plain road map display is still broken in PureMaps, so I have to choose a hybrid overlay (road labels plus satellite view).

It’s good to have both apps, though. I even installed OpenStreetMap as a web app, as well.

7 Likes

Metadata Cleaner (flatpak):

Selecting a pic from directory to remove its metadata:

Incomplete view, but still usable:

7 Likes

What about bitwarden and jellyfin?

Both are usable but not optimised and not currently a particularly good experience. My experience is based on Mobian on Pinephone but it should be pretty much the same on the L5.

Bitwarden desktop electron can be installed from flathub and runs. It’s pretty slow and clunky though and electron apps in general display slightly blurred (if they run at all). So it’s possible to open it and copy a password from it but if you’re expecting the Android/iOS autofill experience you’ll be disappointed.

Jellyfin works via MPV shim (https://github.com/iwalton3/jellyfin-mpv-shim) or web browser. In both cases performance isn’t really good enough to make this suitable for daily use either, both in terms of scrolling around the interface and in terms of video playback but this may be better on the L5 than the PP given it’s better GPU.

2 Likes

Also worth upvoting this issue https://community.bitwarden.com/t/linux-mobile-client/12953/13

Seahorse (aka “Passwords and Keys”) can be made to work by changing orientation and/or reducing the scale a bit.

(Dark theme)

Note the marked solution in this thread, which describes how to use the terminal keyboard version to execute a right-click, which may be needed at times:

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I think I’m using the Gnome keyring with Geary but hadn’t got around to finding out whether I could use Seahorse to browse keys etc.

1 Like

Okular document viewer (flatpak)…without scaling down:

Menus fit:

Settings menu:

“Reading” a .png…of itself:

I did experience a freeze when trying to open the .png from Okular’s File menu. I was able to open the .png from Nemo, though.

Edit: The freeze happened when, from Okular’s File menu, I was attempting to open Pictures directory to get a .png. I mistakenly tried “Open” to enter the Pictures directory. I think Okular was instead trying to open that directory as the viewed file. The correct way would have been for me to first double-tap Pictures, then Open the .png.
Also, once a file is opened for viewing in Okular, the File menu stays grayed out, so you can’t close the document or the app. It’s corrected by minimizing the app, then maximizing. Still usable, though.

Related discussion: App for showing png-screenshots

2 Likes

I’ve reorganized the list at the top of the thread into categories.

3 Likes

Forum member @johan-bjareholt’s elegant and excellent app is out of beta.

Simple Diary (flatpak):

See this thread: [APP] Simple Diary
Nice work, Johan!
Built-in dark mode, too.

6 Likes

GDebi package installer (scaled to 1.5x):

Navigate to the file location:

Helpful error messages and instructions:

I didn’t actually install anything.
You can, of course, install .deb packages from the terminal, but if you don’t feel like typing, this is useful.

1 Like

okular is so old from the amber repos. It is version 1.2.3 or something like this when the current version is 20.12.3. Why it is so old…? This is one of the reasons I had to move my L13 from amber to byzantium, but I do not want to do this on L5.

Okular is a needed pdf viewer because it is the only one that can check digital signatures with ease. The flatpak version seems that needs a lot of space (or I misread the information it gives before confirmation?)

Because this is how Debian works: either you have a stable and old software or vice versa: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/getting-debian.en.html#updatestable.

So from the ice ages that okular was in version 1 until now that it is in version 20 there has been no Debian stable release? This is hard to believe. Something must be very wrong with okular in Debian.

From looking at Okulars webpage, it seems like they changed the versioning after 1.11 to 20.12. Version 1.2 is from August 2017 so it’s still old, but it’s not ancient.

Still, it is many years.

1 Like

There has been a new Debian release. But to use it you need to switch to Byzantium AFAIK.

Actually, there has not been one YET. Amber is based on the current stable release. Bullseye which byzantium is based upon is still not
released, hut hopefully will be soon.

Buster has 17.12.2-2.2 and bullseye has 20.12.3-1 https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/okular

1 Like

GNOME Disks:

Perfect fit, resizable divider, all the usual functions.

5 Likes